From the Mormon Battalion pamphlet :
"Fort Leavenworth became a major influence in the Mexican-American War by serving as an induction center and base from which soldiers deployed. President James K. Polk needing troops, ordered the recruitment of a battalion of Mormon men in June 1846. Once the order was received by Brig. Gen. Stephen W. Kearney at Fort Leavenworth, he sent Capt. James Allen, a regular Army officer serving in the 1st Dragoons, to Iowa Territory to complete the task.
Location: NE Corner of the intersection of Sumner Place and Kearney Avenue, Ft Leavenworth
Additional Info: Ft Leavenworth Wayside Tours