About Us

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Amerind Museum

A few weeks ago we stopped by the Amerind Museum, east of Benson, AZ.  We had heard a few things about it, and since we had bought a Tucson Book of Fun a while back, we decided to spend a cold and rainy Saturday at the museum.  
I guess I missed the "no photography allowed sign", so after I took this picture, a voice came on the intercom inviting me to put my camera away.  OOPS!  So yeah, if you go, no taking pictures.  We spent an hour or so wandering and looking at the exhibits.  One of the more fun moments was finding a display that mentioned the Lindenmeier Fossil Site in Northern Colorado, a place we visited a few years ago when we lived in Fort Collins. 

I did have to ask what Amerind stands for, but was pretty sure I already knew the answer.  It wasn't advertised anywhere, but  the staff member said it's a combination of American and Indian, so American+Indian=Amerind.   Works for me.  I just wonder how long it will be until they change it to the NatAmeric Museum. 

Overall, the it was fun wandering among the artifacts, and seeing the paintings in the art museum next door, but I would say it's a bit overpriced if you don't have the Book of Fun or other discount on admission. 
We did enjoy the rock formations of Texas Canyon in the area. 

Nearest City: Benson, AZ
Location: N° W°
Time Needed: 1-2 hours
Difficulty: Easy
Kid Friendly:
Additional Info: www.amerind.org

No comments:

Post a Comment