About Us

Friday, September 25, 2015

Canoe Building: clamping jigs for the stapleless system


I'm going to try the stapleless system to build my canoe.  Rather then using staples, using some clamping jigs and wedges, I'll secure the strips to the form.  My first item to address was making the jigs.  I got a 1/4 sheet of plywood and marked out 30-32 equally sized boxes on it.  I further marked it up, making in each box a large "L", a small "L" and a straight scrap piece.  They all fit nicely together as I drew them.   I then cut the board up into the little pieces I drew.  The little L's are to support the bottom and will stay in place through most of the stripping.  The big L's will move up, and in theory allow me to strip up to three strips at a time on each side of the canoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment