About Us

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Walk after work to the Kingfisher Pond

Last week my wife and I went on a date to the Kingfisher Pond near the San Pedro River.  We like the Kingfisher Pond.  It's the most water you'll see within a short distance of town!  We parked at the San Pedro House, then took a trail to the southeast which brought us to the pond.  
The pond makes a good after work getaway, and is popular with birders.  We saw some ducks and coots, and a lot of other birds we didn't identify.  We saw a rattlesnake on the trail while we were walking there.  It's only the second rattlesnake I've seen in Arizona.  Ironically, both have been at the San Pedro House.  I don't mind rattlers that I can see.  When I can't see them I have a problem!   We took a wide detour and left the snake flicking its tongue in the air. 
There are several large cottonwood trees at the Kingfisher Pond that have fencing around the base of them to keep beavers from gnawing through the trunks.  The pond is an old sand and gravel pit that has since filled with water.  
I found a few older pictures as well from the Kingfisher Pond.  We brought the kids fishing there one evening to see if we could catch anything.  We didn't have any luck, but we weren't there very long.  I know there's fish in there because I saw a few small ones jump.  I'm not sure what kinds of fish there are in the Kingfisher Pond since we didn't catch any. 

Nearest City: Sierra Vista, AZ
Location: SE of the San Pedro House
Time Needed: 1-2 hours
Difficulty: easy
Kid Friendly: with supervision
Additional Info:

No comments:

Post a Comment