About Us

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Jasper Cave

Most of the time, seeing a dead and rotting cow in the middle of the road is not a good sign. Sometimes it is though. If I'm looking for solitude and see a dead cow, I think I'm on the right track. When I was looking for Jasper Cave, and saw the dead cow, it was definitely a good thing. Caves are something that are best for small groups. The vehicle tracks in the road next to the cow plainly indicated that, on this visit, I wouldn't have to share the cave with others.

We wandered past the cow, along the road that cut across the side of the hill. Dropping down a draw, we saw the cave entrance. As I approached it and got close to it, I was amazed at the wind that was rushing out of the entrance. Although the entrance is small, clearly Jasper Cave is quite extensive.
Climbing inside, the passage necks down to about 2 feet x 2 feet in several spots within the first hundred feet. It's not a cakewalk for the claustrophobic.
I ranged downward, more deeply into the heart of the earth. Ladders appeared beneath my feet. Deeper still I wandered. Along the walls were large crystals. The crystals were dirty and dusty.

I didn't explore the whole thing, just enough to make me want to. Caves rock!





Nearest City:
GPS Coordinates:
Time Needed:
Difficulty: Moderate/Difficult
Kid Friendly: No
Additional Info:

2 comments: