About Us

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Horseshoe Springs

Our final stop was at Horseshoe Springs.  The springs were a stop along the Hastings Cutoff of the California Trail.  Perhaps the Donner Party on their ill-fated journey stopped here as well. 
Not much is out here now.  We walked around the springs and saw a few small bass swimming in the water. 
Next time I'm out here, I'll have to see how the fishing is. 
Nearest City: Iosepa, UT
Location: N 40° 36.836 W 112° 42.520
 Time Needed: 30 minutes
Difficulty: Very Easy
Kid Friendly: Yes
Additional Info:

1 comment:

  1. Fishing is terrible. I've fished Horseshoe Springs at least six times in the past few years. You can see small bass, about 4 or 5 inches long, but they are very wary. I've never seen anything larger, or caught anything at all. I fished for bass a lot in Idaho, and I thought I'd never find a bass that wouldn't take a live worm on an unweighted line, allowed to sink to the bottom -- but these watch it and swim away! Horseshoe Springs is a nice place to walk around and enjoy the scenery, but fishing is poor. Part of the problem is the heavy carpet of green scum that forms about May and lasts through October. Tough breaking through that with a lure. I still try Horseshoe Springs for fishing, but I really don't expect to catch anything.

    ReplyDelete